1. How much does it cost? Just as in stores, prices vary. Some variations include:
- The fit and design will be superior since the dress is being designed for your body and not the industry standard size.
- Your gown will be lighter in weight and constructed from finer fabrics than those in most stores.
- You influence style development and you control the costs and delivery dates. (We’ve never been late on a dress yet!)
- The garment you design becomes “part of you” as it evolves during your fittings to flatter your figure and reflect your personality. Whether traditional or non-traditional, it is your one of a kind vision of perfection!
And remember: when the wedding is over, the tangibles you bring home will be your ring, your photos, the groom and your gown. Now, doesn’t it make sense to design a gown as personal and important as your wedding day?
2. Do I have to know what I want?
No. Janice Martin’s job as a designer is to help you realize your dream by introducing you to new ideas, beautiful designs and imported fabrics and laces to you. Details most important to you are incorporated into the design of your gown.
3. How long does it take to have a gown designed/altered?
- One week to a year and a half -it depends upon your wedding date and schedule, the complexity of the design, and rarity of the fabric.
- Fittings may be quick and sporadic, or intense and concentrated depending upon your preference and whether you are local or out of state
4. Do you work on existing gowns?
Of course! Janice Martin has extensive experience, whether it’s restoring Princess Grace’s bridal veil for the Philadelphia Museum of Art, fitting an 1880′s gown for a contemporary bride, painstakingly recreating a 1958 Priscilla gown, or just tweaking your family’s favorite heirloom!
5. What if I bought a gown off the rack and…
- now I don’t like it;
- after four fittings it still doesn’t fit;
- it won’t arrive on time;
- the wrong style came in;
- the dry cleaner lost/damaged the dress?
Call us. We solved the issues listed above, and we can probably help you too!
6. What does Janice Martin Designs create?
- We create the entire trousseau, from amazing headpieces and couture bridal gowns to rehearsal dinner dressing, cashmere robes, silk peignoirs, travel and resort wear.
- We design gowns for bride and groom moms, flower girls, graduates, debutantes, bar mitzvah moms, and stage and theater performers!
- We design suits and entire wardrobes for professional women from models to politicians.
- We produce custom garment bags, cashmere throws, hand painted silk pillows, shawls and scarves of every color and variety you could wish for.
- We refer bridesmaids to various bridal stores or catalogs depending upon the need.